Tilly and the Buttons - Cleo Dungaree Dress - Button-up Pattern Hack!1/22/2017
|Tilly and the Buttons - Cleo Dungaree Dress - Button-up Pattern Hack!|
Hi pinups! I'm so excited about this make, I couldn't wait to share it with you, so I bumped it right to the top of my blog post queue! Lets get into it... I recently made a button up skirt and combined with my Pinterest sewing inspiration board and a girl in working in my local H&M, I was inspired to make my own button up dungaree dress, using the Tilly and the Buttons Cleo Pinafore & Dungaree dress Sewing Pattern as the base.
This hack is super simple and would be great for beginner sewists looking for a new challenge, who maybe aren't quite ready to sew a shirt yet. The easy button facing is a great skill to nail down as it crops up in lots of shirt/button up styles. It'll also get you practising those button holes!
|My Pinterest inspiration!|
For the Cleo Dungaree Button-up hack (along with the original pattern & fabric/supplies) you will need:
- pattern paper
- tracing tools - scissors, pencil, ruler etc.
- light/medium weight interfacing & iron
- 12 buttons
Let's get hacking!
The sewing instructions are the same as in the booklet, just in a slightly different order.
Step 1: The Pattern:
- Trace out the front body pattern on to pattern paper.
- At the centre front add 2 inches from top to bottom. This will be your button facing.
- Add your seam allowance to the new centre front (approx 1.5cm).
- Add your pattern markings. You can copy these from the original pattern.
- Cut out your new front pattern piece!
- Cut out a piece of iron on interfacing the same as your button facing column on your front pattern.
- Iron on interfacing to the wrong sides of the fabric, leaving your seam allowance gap at the edge.
- Press over seam allowance.
Step 3: Sew the Body:
Follow booklet instructions for the following:
- Sew centre back pieces together.
- Sew side seams together.
- Sew dungaree straps as instructed.
- Attach straps to back piece.
Step 4: Facing:
- Adjust your front facing pattern piece to match the width of the new front body. Don't cut on the fold, instead cut 2.
- Sew facing to the dress as instructed.
- Fold the centre fronts over wrong sides together to create the button facing.
- Iron in place.
- Top stitch the button facing.
- Top stitch the rest of the facing.
Step 7: Buttons:
- Mark out your button holes on the right side (as worn) and sew.
- Attach buttons.
- Add dungaree clips.
- Add pockets if you wish.
- Hem however you like! (I frayed mine)
Tada! You have now have a super sassy button up dungaree dress!
|Worn with my me-mad Gable Top, see HERE.|
Fabric: Lightweight Stretch Denim
Notions: Clip On Jeans Buttons - Silver
Sewing time: This would make a great weekend project. I made mine in a day, including the pattern hacking and taking progress photos.
Modifications: See above for my modifications.
Fit: Exactly what I wanted.
Difficulty: Nice and simple.
Watch out for: A tidy front facing and neat top stitching will make all the difference to the final look. Take your time.
Make Again?: Yes!
|Tada! An easy-peasy sassy pattern hack!|
Thanks for reading, pinups!
P.S. If you have any questions about this hack, please ask and I will do my best to reply!
This post contains affiliate links.